Professor Richard Wiseman is a smart guy whose work I follow with great interest & his great book 59 Seconds is on my favourite list. A little while back Richard conducted a study to discover the outcomes of the use of willpower alone, against other techniques. With the end of the year almost upon us, I guess the thought of making a New Year Resolution or two may have crossed your mind, so we can do no better than take a professors’ advice for ways in which we can best achieve them with ten simple tips – over to Richard:
1) Make only one resolution, your chances of success are greater when you channel energy into changing just one aspect of your behaviour.
2) Don’t wait until New Year’s Eve to think about your resolution and instead take some time out a few days before and reflect upon what you really want to achieve.
3) Avoid previous resolutions; deciding to re-visit a past resolution sets you up for frustration and disappointment.
4) Don’t run with the crowd and go with the usual resolutions. Instead think about what you really want out of life.
5) Break your goal into a series of steps, focusing on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable, and time-based.
6) Tell your friends and family about your goals, thus increasing the fear of failure and eliciting support.
7) Regularly remind yourself of the benefits associated with achieving your goals by creating a checklist of how life would be better once you obtain your aim.
8 ) Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a sub-goal, thus maintaining motivation and a sense of progress.
9) Make your plans and progress concrete by keeping a handwritten journal, completing a computer spreadsheet or covering a notice board with graphs or pictures.
10) Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. Treat any failure as a temporary set-back rather than a reason to give up altogether.
For those motivated individuals, Richard has also done a short video to assist – check this out here. In the meantime, may I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year & remember if you need support for achieving your goals, dreams & desires one of my success coaching programs is a superb way to get them to stick & succeed!